Monday, November 09, 2009

Good news and bad news

As they say, I have good news and bad news. Which do you want first?

I always start with the bad news, because then I feel like we have nowhere to go from there besides up. Today's bad news is that Lap Band IS NOT covered by my insurance.

That, as they say, is that. Period. There's no way I'd be able to cover the surgery on my own. I called around to see what I could find out, and my quotes ranged from $22,500 to $27,500 for the surgery. That doesn't include the year's worth of focused checks and adjustments, or any followup afterwards, and not even the build-up to actually getting there. That's just the surgery part. Well gee....we'd also need to add in the actual hospital costs, the anethesiologist, the time off work.... (big sigh)

So, that's the bad news. Lap Band isn't going to be an option for me unless the insurance policies are changed. But there's good news!!

The good news is that I still have one significant option, and even better news that I've already started it. That would be joining the Y, doing the water exercise, and starting over on my meal plans. At least I have one good, workable, possibly effective solution left to me, and it's all UP to me to make it happen.

I'm surprised at myself that I'm not more upset by this news than I am. I can't quite explain that. Maybe it's just good to know what I have left as options, to boil the available choices down to one. That's one left to take----THAT one would be the one I HAVE to take. No more hiding, no more debates, no more 'oh that might be another solution'. It's this or nothing. I hope with all my heart that I have the courage and strength to make change that option into The Solution That Worked. And in the end, wouldn't that mean that the Bad News became the Good?

4 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Blogger Trailshome said...

So now you know. And with your special kind of energy and determination, you can regain your life. I believe in you. You can do it.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger GreyCrazy said...

WHEW, thanks Mom!

 
At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll wrap extra courage in a hug and send it your way. Better yet, give it to you in person at MB.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger GreyCrazy said...

I'm gonna hold you to that DaddyJim! A hug filled with love and encouragement is the best gift I can think of.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home