The ball goes up, the weight goes down!
Happy New Year everyone! Robert and I spent our the week between Christmas and New Years on our traditional Myrtle Beach visit with my mom and step-father. The picture is from the new celebration held downtown between Peaches Corner and the old Pavilion grounds. They hoisted a huge lighted beach ball which reached the top just at the stroke of midnight. The fireworks exploding behind it were close, really festive, and so beautiful!I really believe this was the best year ever! I was really worried about the whole holiday vacation season though, knowing the food, the temptations, the lack of pool exercise for such a long time and various disruptions in schedule could make my weight skyrocket. Even worse, I was almost terrified that I would lose my momentum. So, to combat that constant worry, I made a different sort of resolution. I resolved not to worry. I made myself a promise that I would try really hard not to inflict that on everyone else....to just do the best I could, try not to go way overboard in any in any direction, and begin with a fresh start on the first day back. In general it went pretty well. The water bottle I kept forgetting to drink became an ongoing joke, and I never did get in the pool for exercise, but in general I came home feeling fairly well about what I did.
So this is Monday, the day I'm supposed to weigh. That makes this morning the new start for the new year. How much weight did I put back in? Would I be back where I started? Or even...heaven forbid....higher?? Do I really want to see this??
I spent a couple hours working up to it. This morning I've spent some time thinking positively about the changes I've made, about the choices that came natural while on vacation and the ones that I had to fight harder for. I am NOT making a "New Year's Resolution" because I'm not allowing myself to even consider that this is a choice. It is NOT. It's now a part of my life and therefore, I need to choose something else for a resolution. My new life just is, and will continue to be. Finally I felt like I had talked myself through it, tried to ignore the three buckeyes and the slice of cheesecake I cheated on, and reminded myself that it's been almost three weeks since I did a class at the Y. Whatever the scale said, that's where we were going to start with for the new year. Then I closed my eyes and stepped on the scale. (can you hear the dramatic movie music track at this point?)
When I opened my eyes, the scale was giving me the news. I blinked, and blinked again, got off, got back on. The scale was still smiling at me. :-)
I didn't gain ONE POUND. Not ONE!!!
The actual weight may have fluctuated a little over the vacation, but I was right there at the SAME PLACE where I was the last time I posted after trying the new scale. I can hardly believe it. That's such a small, tiny tiny TINY, victory, but a victory nonetheless. I can enjoy dessert occasionally, I can have that prime rib on a holiday visit, but in the end I've changed my life and it's ok. I'm ok! It's all going to be OK!!
Watch out new year. I'm on the way!

3 Comments:
Tiny victory? You crazy gurllll, that's HUGE!!!!
Wooooo Hoooooo
Hooray! Good on you! That's amazing.
Very cool!
I love the way you think, my friend - I'm right there with ya! :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home