Friday, November 13, 2009

Nifty Product: Olive Oil Mayo

I've discovered a nifty new product in this Mayo. Don't know where I've been since this stuff came out but it sure surprised me. Most people who love mayo and are on a diet have learned to hate the very term "Lite Mayo". Plainly said...well....it sucks. (nodding) The consistency is wrong, the taste is nasty, and seriously it's just not mayo. Even on a diet though, there's room for a little mayo when used right. Egg or tuna salads are acceptable on my Formula plan when made with reduced-fat mayo. And let's face it, sometimes when dieting you just want something that tastes normal and NOT diety!

This week I went to the store armed with my grocery armed with my list and Formula cookbook. In order to get back into balance I needed to stock up on some staples I'll use a lot of. One of my favorite lunches in the book is a tuna salad made with tomatoes and for that I need the mayo. I saw this one the shelf and decided to try it. Several companies make a variation now but since I was raised on Hellmann's I figured I'd try that one first. (No, all my southern family members, Duke's does NOT have one)

It's surprisingly good! The consistency is still a bit off, but it has more of the 'bite' that a good mayo has. It doesn't taste and feel like white melty cream cheese. You can taste the olive oil and it worked very well in my first tuna salad as well. I give it two thumbs up!

Here are comparions for regular Hellmann's products. The values for the Olive Oil variation are: Total Fat, 5g, Cholesterol, 5g, Carbs, less than 1 g. So basically it's half the fat of regular mayo; not quite as low as 'lite', but much more flavor and still less than g of carbs.
Give it a try! If you like Mayo but are looking for lower-fat option to use why still trying to eat flavorful mixed recipes, this just might be your answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home