Sunday, November 22, 2009

Jumping for Joy

Yesterday was a day I look forward to ALL year....the annual Greyhound Crossroads Fall Picnic! It's one of my favorite days, filled with most of my favorite things. It's outdoors at our local State Park in the crisp fall days when it's just cool enough to really enjoy the crackling warmth from the fire. We're surrounded by fall colors, our favorite greyhounds and their owners, and a chance to visit without having to 'work' like we do at BeachBound Hounds. This is the beginning of my holiday season-- a chance to see our members relaxed and happy. Unfortunately, it's also filled with wonderful food. Even worse than Thanksgiving for me, because unlikely that traditional feast, you don't sit down, eat, then get up and leave it. This feast is a grazing bounty where you wander around and nibble, and try this new recipe, and have a cup of hot cocoa. Goodness.... and the hot dogs and s'mores cooked over the open fire!

But I survived. :-) In the interest of full disclosure, I think I did pretty well. I ate mostly Cincinnati Chili, my Italian Beef, and a little pulled pork. I bowed to the pressure and tried two small brownies. (well SHEESH! LOL) But honestly, I feel reasonably good about all of that. Mostly meat and I stopped eating when I threw my plate away. Not too bad.

Instead, I diverted my desire for all of the food to visiting with folks and staying away from the tables. I had enough to enjoy it, but didn't eat until I felt full, knowing I could go back later.....but I never did. Progress! What a glorious day that was just perfect without the hangover of eating too much food and regretting it this morning.
The photo above is my boy Jeff. Susan helped me work with him a little yesterday, trying to find good ways to use his energy and diverting him from bad behavior. (hmmmmm, I see a pattern here!) This is Jeff doing 'touch', a trick he picked up in just a couple minutes. He's jumping for joy (and a treat hidden in my hand) at having such a fabulous day at the park. Thanks to Susan for the lesson, and Joanne for the photo!

1 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger Trailshome said...

Well done! Didn't overdo on the food-AND-got some exercise in the park and great visiting too. Sounds like a fun day and nothing to feel guilty about later. You did good!

Don't you feel proud! Somebody should give you a gold star.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home